A fun approach to this recipe would be to make two batches – one coke gummy mixture and one rum gummy mixture and pipe them into two separate layers for some nice colour/flavour contrast. This would work for other drinks as well…Moscow mule anyone? With enough planning, our next party may have a gummy bar.
Recipe (Adapted from Heston Blumenthal)
80g dark rum
20g cola concentrate (we used a flavouring for Soda Stream)
15g powdered gelatin
100g liquid glucose
75g granulated sugar
1/8 tsp cream of tartar
- Mix dark rum and cola concentrate together.
- In a small sauce pan, add gelatin powder and 65g of the rum/cola mixture. Bring it to a boil and set aside.
- In a separate pot, add sugar, glucose and remaining rum and cola mixture. Heat mixture to 124°C .
- Let the sugar mixture cool to 100°C and then stir in the gelatin mixture. Mix until combined.
- While the mixture is still hot, pipe into silicon/greased moulds.
- Let it sit in the fridge overnight.
- Remove gummies from moulds and toss in a confectioner’s sugar/citric acid mix (1/2 cup: 2 tsp) .
- This formula can be adapted for different flavours of gummies, but some adjustment to the proportions will likely be required.
- The gummies will be very soft and sticky when unmoulding, especially if you’re not patient enough to wait the full 24 hours.
- Gelatin leaves can be substituted for gelatin powder without any modifications.
- If you can’t find liquid glucose, you can substitute with corn syrup. This is not ideal as it ups the sweetness level, but it will work.