Finally!!! I bought these Mahjong tile chocolate moulds in January of 2013, and they had been stowed away from direct sunlight for the past 8+ years. A recent dinner with my sister motivated me to finally dig these out. Let’s get started! After a quick polish with cheesecloth, I cast some chocolate into the moulds leaving roughly 1/4″ gap at the top. Next, I sprayed the mould with a light green cocoa butter colour. Once the colour was set and the chocolate that was cast into the bottom was crystallized, I released the chocolate from the mould, leaving a clean green line around the top. I then sprayed several layers of white cocoa butter into the moulds. Once that set, I cast the moulds in white chocolate, filled them with a ganache and capped them. Lastly, once the chocolate crystallized and was removed from the moulds, I use tempered, blue and green cocoa butter and filled in the outlines of the tiles’ characters with the right colour using a pin.
Going out with a bang! The last supper club of the summer was a big one…to celebrate the end of summer, but also an excuse to bust out some of the fancier items we’ve been hanging onto in our freezer (before we defrost it).Read More
Here’s a collection of chocolate-related recipes and resources for your reference.Read More
My motivation for making my own cocoa butter: I used to buy coloured cocoa butter, but in addition to the price of each colour, I’d often end up having to pay a cost associated with shipping and customs, increasing the average price per bottle. To bring down the price, I would end up getting a few more bottles, which I likely did not need in the first place. The other issue with buying coloured cocoa butter is that most companies offer the same range of colours, so if you want something different you’ll have to mix your own colours anyways…So why not just start with primary colours and mix small batches?Read More
This is one of my favourite desserts at dim sum. We came across a recipe when we were researching snacks for Chinese New Year, so of course we had to try it! The first recipe we found used only agar to set the jelly. It held the liquid, but the texture had way too much crunch and not enough of a softer jelly feel. We decided we needed a mix of gelatine and agar — it turned out that finding the right proportions were a lot harder than we thought. After numerous trials, this is the recipe we settled on! We are pretty happy with it, but I guess it all comes down to personal taste. If you like a bit more crunch, then you can add a little agar and take out some of the gelatine mass. If you don’t like any crunch at all, you could try using only gelatine (though we’ve been strongly cautioned that is not authentic). For a little more firmness, you could reduce the amount of tea (or simply simmer for a bit longer to reduce the water content). There are so many variables! We had these cute little silicone moulds that I thought were perfect for bite-sized jellies, but a square pan works just as well! Once the jelly is set you can simply cut them to size.Read More