Every year, I try to develop new recipes for the kiddies that can be easily duplicated in class as well as at home with minimal tools and equipment. Who doesn’t like pizza right? With a no-knead approach, they don’t have to worry about a lack of equipment at home or even know the basic bread theory (gluten development, DDT, …). They can just enjoy a pizza that can easily be duplicated at home for friends and family. Fun fact: I often get stories about students’ parents asking them to take care of dinner multiple nights a week after gaining some experience in my class. It brings a smile to my face every single time.Read More
This is a basic dark chocolate ganache recipe that is a go-to recipe for me. I like the consistency and mouth feel with these specific proportions. Whenever I am starting new recipes, I often use this as a base ganache recipe and then tweak it based on the final flavouring I want. I use it in tarts, cakes, truffles, the list goes on…Read More
This week, I had every intention of trying to remake my failed duck dish (duck wellington) from last week’s supper club. While in the grocery store getting the ingredients to do it again, I found myself standing in front of the glass freezer door where the puff pastry is stored with my hand on the handle, and a question keeps coming to mind “Do I want to be disappointed again?” The answer was no! No, I didn’t give up, I’m not a quitter, I’m just putting the dish on hold until I can gather more information to make it properly. Instead, I did a duck 3 ways. The breast was sous vide at 58°C for roughly an hour to produce a nice pink center. In a really hot pan, I seared the foie gras, the duck breast, and a black duck leg confit that I had hidden in the freezer. The sauce was a reduction of maple syrup, balsamic vinegar, wild blueberries with a hint of salt. Everything worked well together: there was a little bit of saltiness from the confit, fattiness from the foie gras, sweet, sour and tangy flavours from the sauce and a little bit of crispiness from the duck skin on the breast. Even though it isn’t a good comparison, Megan and I both agreed it was better than last week’s dish, with the added flavours and textural components to enhance the experience.
Now for something a little different…Royce and I have always said that a main function of this blog is to serve as a kind of archive for us. It’s a way for us to keep track of (and update, when needed!) favourite recipes. It also acts as a kind of journal for us to record and reminisce about various projects. Until now, it has all been food-related. We have never ventured far beyond the subject of the food that we’re making and eating…but as we now find ourselves in the midst of some pretty significant life milestones, it seemed a natural step to extend our content to include a few other topics as well.Read More
Finally!!! I bought these Mahjong tile chocolate moulds in January of 2013, and they had been stowed away from direct sunlight for the past 8+ years. A recent dinner with my sister motivated me to finally dig these out. Let’s get started! After a quick polish with cheesecloth, I cast some chocolate into the moulds leaving roughly 1/4″ gap at the top. Next, I sprayed the mould with a light green cocoa butter colour. Once the colour was set and the chocolate that was cast into the bottom was crystallized, I released the chocolate from the mould, leaving a clean green line around the top. I then sprayed several layers of white cocoa butter into the moulds. Once that set, I cast the moulds in white chocolate, filled them with a ganache and capped them. Lastly, once the chocolate crystallized and was removed from the moulds, I use tempered, blue and green cocoa butter and filled in the outlines of the tiles’ characters with the right colour using a pin.