There’s something really nostalgic about having a Deep’n Delicious Cake. I remember as a kid when we used to order takeout for dinner, maybe from pizza hut or some other fast food establishment, and we would specifically look for the meals that came with a Deep ‘n Delicious cake. Nowadays, you can find this in the freeze aisle of every grocery store. I’m not sure if that was the case back then since I didn’t go to the grocery store with my mom, (unless it was Costco).
Megan and I decided to try to create a fancier and more delicious version of this cake. At the bottom, we have a rich dark chocolate cake, followed by a layer of dark chocolate ganache, and finished with a layer of piped chocolate buttercream. For a textural and decorative component we added some chocolate crisp pearls (bonus: they also double as a distraction from the horrible piping job that I did). And lastly a little bit of gold leaf, cuz we fancy!
- 210g sugar (1/2 cup)
- 124g all purpose flour (1/2 cup + 1/4 cup)
- 70g cocoa powder (1/2 cup)
- 3.6g baking powder (3/4 tsp)
- 4.4g baking soda (3/4 tsp)
- 2.5g salt (3/4 tsp)
- 1 egg, large
- 130g milk (1/2 cup)
- 60g neutral oil (1/4 cup)
- 5g vanilla extract (1 tsp)
- 125g boiling water (1/2 cup)
- 360g basic dark chocolate ganache
- 525g chocolate Swiss meringue buttercream (half the recipe yields just enough)
- crisp pearls and gold leaf (optional)
- stainless steel bowls
- 8″ x 8″ square pan
- whisk/ spatula
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together, sugar, salt baking powder, baking soda, cocoa powder and all purpose flour.
- In a separate mixing bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, neutral oil and vanilla extract.
- Whisk wet into dry ingredients until smooth.
- Add boiling water to the mixture, whisk until smooth.
- Pour batter into a 8″ x 8″ square cake pan lined with parchment.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until done.
- Once the cake is cooled, cover with dark chocolate ganache. Allow the ganache to set, then pipe the chocolate buttercream.
- Top with dark chocolate crisp pearls and edible gold leaf, or decoration of your choice.
One thought on “Homemade Deep’n Delicious Cake”