Our first batch of salsa verde was from a few years back when there was a bumper crop of tomatillos at the farm – most of them made their way into a gigantic batch of pickles. Salsa verde is one of the main things we’ve made with them since then. It’s great as a condiment in its own right, but also makes a tasty addition salads among other things!
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 681g tomatillos (pickled) (1 1/2 lb)
- 1/2 small onion
- 2 – 4 serrano chiles
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro
- 1 tbsp vinegar
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 2 tbsp of olive oil
- salt to taste
- cutting board and knife
- Using a cutting board, rough chop all the vegetables and herbs.
- Transfer the vegetables along with the remaining ingredients into the blender
- Puree until smooth.
- Season with salt and adjust the seasoning based on your preference.
- For a charred flavour, grill the garlic, onion, tomatillos and serrano chiles.
FAQs, Tips, Troubleshooting:
- Don’t like it hot? De-seed the chilies for a milder flavour.