Popcorn and passion fruit are a perfect pairing. On this plated dessert, there’s a frozen popcorn parfait with a passion fruit ganache and fluid gel. It is accompanied by a banana caramel, roasted peanuts and some mock popcorn.
4 egg yolks
375ml 35% (lightly whipped)
1 bag microwaved popcorn
1. Prepare popcorn in microwave according to the package’s instructions.
2. Heat 125ml of milk.
3. Add popcorn in milk and let it steep for 10-15 minutes.
4. Blend the popcorn and milk mixture and strain.
5. In a stainless steel bowl, mix egg yolks and sugar
6. Heat remaining milk.
7. To make an anglaise, temper eggs by slowly pouring the heated milk into the egg yolk and sugar mixture.
8. Bring the mixture back onto the stove and heat to 85C
9. Once the anglaise coats the back of the spoon, let it cool.
10. Stir in the popcorn milk and fold in whipped cream.
11. Pour into container, (in this case we used rolled up acetate tubes) and freeze.
Mock Popcorn (A technique developed by Raul Bernal Belarra)
1. Make meringue bits by piping meringue sticks with a small round tip.
2. Once the meringue is dried, break them into smaller pieces.
3. Temper white chocolate and add meringue pieces.
4. Spoon/ shape the mixture and let it set.
Passion Fruit Ganache
100g white chocolate
25g passion fruit puree
25g triple sec
1. In a double boiler, melt white chocolate
2. Stir in remaining ingredients.
Passion Fruit Fluid Gel
Recipe on another page
50g peanuts (lightly toasted)
1. Add water and sugar to a pot and bring to a boil.
2. Add peanuts and stir vigorously to force crystallization.
3. Continue to cook the sugared peanuts to desired colour.
The texture of the banana caramel was not quite right, so I won’t share that recipe here. 🙂